Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18th

Hello everyone! The mission is going great, and we are seeing many amazing things. I'll give a quick "highlight reel" of the top moments from this week:
- Met an 80 year old woman who said she is angry at the Catholic pope, and doesn't want to be associated with the Catholic church anymore. She accepted a Book of Mormon, and when we called a couple of days later she said she had read what we had left her, including more than we gave her!
- Met Isidro, the husband of a woman we are preparing for baptism. It was the first time we had met him, and he seemed very friendly but doesn't speak very much English. We are going to bring some Portuguese Elders to come teach with us so we can teach the whole family!
- Taught a man named Ken on the bus the other day, who says he is an atheist. He really enjoyed what we were saying though, and said he wanted to hear more. He gave me his address to stop by sometime and talk more.
- Attended a Catholic wake, and gave a prayer there for a member of our ward whose mother had just passed away. The only LDS people in there were the member and my companion and I- everyone else was Catholic. That was pretty interesting!
- Attended a Catholic funeral, the day after the wake. Again, felt very out of place, being missionaries from another church surrounded by Catholics! But everyone was friendly, and although the service was definitely not what I am used to, it went alright. It was such a weird experience.
There's always more, but never enough time. Hope everything is going great back in Arizona! The Book of Mormon is true, and it is an actual record of God's dealing with prophets and people from the ancient Americas. I have no doubt that this is true, or I wouldn't be out here serving my mission. I am grateful for the spiritual confirmation that I have received as I have put in the effort and taken the steps to find it to be true for myself.
Love,
Elder Crandell

No comments:

Post a Comment